Why should you do yoga teacher training, even if you don’t want to teach yoga?
Curious about a yoga teacher training but not so much about actually teaching yoga? You’re hearing the buzz about how yoga is a lot more than just asanas and other physical practices. You’ve read a few quotes, heard about the Eight Limbs of Yoga and Patanjali’s Sutras. Yoga might have already made a profound impact on your life due to its wonderful transformative power.
But you still can’t seem to get onboard with being a teacher. So, what should you do? Should you take up a yoga teacher training course? How will it help you go deeper? Will you have to study about teaching methodologies and building your yoga teacher career? Yes, yoga instructor training courses are meant to qualify you to teach yoga as a career but they are also meant to shape practitioners into real yogis. Teaching methodologies and yoga as a career usually make up one module in the yoga teacher training program, and depending on the school, you may be excused from those classes and get a participation certificate, so you don’t have to worry about teaching. But apart from that, these intensive yoga teacher training courses deep dive into the history and origin of yoga, styles of yoga, anatomy and physiology, cleansing practices, breathing techniques, meditation, detailed knowledge of yoga asana benefits, and much more. You will grow as an individual, uncovering greater potential within you, while learning to adapt a yogic lifestyle of balance and purpose.
Still curious as to how a yoga TTC can benefit you, even if you don’t want to teach yoga? Let’s look at some of the top reasons to do a yoga teacher training program.
- A guidebook for life: Yoga dates back thousands of years ago to ancient India. Over the years all the knowledge and philosophy has been carefully organized in a way that can be absorbed and adapted by practitioners. Even in today’s modern day, there is so much knowledge that we can learn and follow when dealing with challenging situations or simply in everyday life. A wonderful example is the Sutra “Sthiram Sukam Asanam” which directly translates to “being steady, stable and comfortable in a posture”. In a certain sense, this does not refer to only yoga asanas, but in fact, being stable and comfortable in any situation in our lives. Another life-changing subject you will study is the breath. Breath is one of the most powerful tools we own. But how many of us breathe the right way? Learning about the anatomy of breath can correct your breathing patterns, positively impacting the nervous system, respiratory system, and your overall well-being. You’ll also have supportive teachers guiding you towards understanding the subject matter better and how to apply it in everyday life. The knowledge you gain through a yoga teacher training course is your guidebook to living life to the fullest and being the best version of yourself. Think of what you learn as a lifelong self-help book that you can use to navigate through life.
- A healthier, more balanced you: To become a yoga teacher you have to go through a certain number of hours of practice that includes physical postures, breathing exercises, cleansing techniques and meditation. All of these practices contribute significantly towards your mental, physical and emotional health. While each practice has its specific benefits, overall, your body and mind will go through a detox, get stronger, calmer and more balanced. Moreover, if you immerse yourself in an in-person , you will have fellow-students and teachers physically present to help you practice more effectively. When you become a yoga instructor and graduate from your course, you will be more inclined towards making the time to continue your personal practice, staying healthy and in a blissful state of mind.
- Self-awareness and growth: Let your inner child out or allow your creative self to express what’s burning inside you – we all have a ‘real self’ that’s lying dormant just below the surface of who we are at work, in relationships or at home. Immerse yourself in a yoga teacher training program to discover your true self, tap into your highest potential and grow into who you really can be. During the course you will face challenging moments where you’ll confront innate thoughts and emotions – perhaps while meditating, during a long-hold yoga asana, or another practice – that you might have suppressed. You’ll hear your inner voice tell you what you may not want to hear and you’ll unearth strength and willpower you probably didn’t know you had. You’ll also have time for self-reflection and identifying areas you feel you need to work on. Your experience will be unique to you. But no matter what you go through, you will emerge from the program more self-aware and conscious, with a deep sense of physical, mental and emotional growth.
Looking for reasons why to choose a 200-hour Yoga Teacher Training Course with Sampoorna Yoga? Take a look at everything you need to know about the training here.
- A purposeful routine: Today, most of us live hectic lives with endless to-do lists. The scale is almost always tipping in the direction of work, relationships and chores. Very rarely do we put ourselves on top of the priority list. Some of us probably manage to squeeze in an hour of yoga or a walk or a short meditation every few days. Doing a yoga teacher training course allows you to hit the pause button and prioritize yourself. You will get so immersed in yoga’s transformative power that you will consciously begin to make time for your practices. If you do the yoga teacher training program in-person you will also follow a fixed schedule for the duration of the course. The schedule will include practice hours, time for self-study and time off to unwind with fellow-students. A yoga teacher training in Goa with Sampoorna Yoga will also give you the opportunity to explore the beautiful city (and beaches) of Goa! The idea is to do everything in balance. This will also allow you to balance the yin and yang energies within you. With an intensive yoga teacher training course you will graduate as someone more inclined towards living life in balance and purposefully.
- Confidence and clarity: During a yoga teacher training course you will be on a deep transformative journey with like-minded folks. You’ll explore practices that have a deep impact together. You’ll study intense subject-matter that will spark insightful discussions and opinions. If you are someone who shies away from speaking out in a group, don’t be surprised if within a few days you’re ready to let go of all inhibitions and doubts! Yoga practices will also work towards instilling a greater sense of confidence and clarity. You’ll soon find yourself being more decisive and clear of your desires and goals. You’ll even find yourself being more confident at work, perhaps when making a big presentation to your bosses. If, at some point, you do choose to start teaching yoga, confidence will come to you without much trouble.
- A yoga community: This is one of the best parts about doing a yoga teacher training course. You’ll meet and connect with others who have similar goals. You won’t hesitate to share thoughts, feelings and experiences. You’ll find support, whether it is when attempting a yoga asana or guidance on navigating a challenging situation in life. When you talk about self-growth and transformation, they’ll understand what you mean. Most of all, you’ll make friends for life. Friends who share the same love and passion for yoga as you do. In so many ways, you will find your tribe.
There is so much more that a yoga teacher training offers apart from qualifying you as a teacher. Improving your own quality of life with the practices, wisdom and yoga knowledge is reason enough to consider the course. Don’t worry about whether it is right for you or what you will do with the certificate – all you need is passion and commitment. The rest of it will come to you as you grow and progress in your yogic path.