Extended Side Angle (Utthita Parsvokonasana)
Type: Standing pose
Spread the legs apart in standing. Rotate the right foot 90 degrees and the left foot about 15 degrees to the right. Bend the right knee trying to reach 90 degrees without rotating the torso or pelvis. Start stretching to the right and put the right hand on the floor next to your foot. Straighten the left arm up and lower it over your head. Try to stretch your upper side from your foot to your arm into one line. Rotate the head and look up.
- Rest the forearm on the thigh instead of dropping it to the ground.
- You can bind around the front thigh.
Props & Assistance:
Best to avoid placing the hand to the ground or binding if it causes the chest to collapse. Keep the forearm resting on the thigh instead.
- Downward dog
- Bound angle
- Wide legged forward bend
- Accomplished pose
- Reclining Hero
- Reclining Hand-to-Big-Toe Pose
- Wide legged seated forward bend
- Extended triangle
- Warrior II
Follow up poses:
- Good to perform at or near the beginning of a standing pose sequence
- good preparation for wide-open groin poses (e.g. Bound angle, Garland, and Crow)
- Strengthens and stretches the legs, knees, and ankles
- Stretches the groins, spine, waist, chest and lungs, and shoulders
- Stimulates abdominal organs
- Increases stamina
- Therapeutic applications: Constipation, Infertility, Low backache, Osteoporosis, Sciatica, Menstrual discomfort
- High or low blood pressure
- Neck problems – look straight or at the floor
- If you are thinking of starting yoga and have a medical condition, it is advisable to check with your doctor.
Sarah Williams is a Qualified Yoga Teacher based in London with an online presence @sarahlucyyoga on Instagram and Facebook. She also blogs about yoga and health & wellbeing topics on her website (https://sarahlucyyoga.wixsite.com/yoga). Sarah’s focus is Vinyasa Flow, Hatha and Ashtanga styles of yoga and she completed part of her yoga teacher training.
As well as being a yoga teacher Sarah is also a Chartered Accountant. She fell in love with yoga as it was a release from the office, it taught her to value her health and improved the attitude she had towards life and herself. As a teacher she is able to pass on the benefits of yoga to her students and finds the job incredibly rewarding.
She has recently completed her 300 hr advanced teacher training from Sampoorna Yoga Goa. If you are interested in Yoga Teacher Training in India please browse our teacher training page – Yoga Teacher Training Courses.
YOGA ALLIANCE CERTIFIED COURSES!
All the Sampoorna Yoga’s Teacher Training Courses are registered with Yoga Alliance. Once you graduate from our school, you will be eligible to register as a Yoga Teacher with Yoga Alliance anywhere in the world. This certification enables you to teach in any and all the countries in the world.